SHINE – Serving Health Information Needs of Elders
What is SHINE?
The SHINE program is dedicated to providing elders with accurate, unbiased information regarding health insurance options through a network of trained volunteers. SHINE offers free, confidential one-on-one counseling to elders and their family members. The program is funded and managed by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs and is administered through local organizations.
What does a SHINE counselor do?
* Assists elders in understanding and assessing their health insurance needs.
* Reviews present coverage to prevent elders from paying for unnecessary or duplicate coverage.
* Helps elders process health benefit claims.
* informs elders of their rights under Medicare.
* Makes referrals to various agencies when appropriate.
How can I reach a counselor?
Winthrop Council on Aging / Winthrop Senior Center